Pages

Friday, September 27, 2013

Week 6- Math Coach Visit & OREOs

This week during morning meeting we had share time on Tuesday and Thursday. We had lots of creepy critters brought in but I think that's because the kids know how much I love bugs! Avery decided to show the class a magic trick.

Untitled

Our new math coach, Mrs. Hamlet came in to do a lesson with my math classes. She had the kids up moving to model division.

Untitled

Then they talked about dividing with fractions. If you had 4 pizzas and you wanted to divide them by 1/3, how many equal pieces would you have? She taught them how to draw pictures to find the answer.

Untitled

The teachers had duty free lunch this week. I must say that the 5th grade teachers were spoiled by two wonderful parents! They brought us all lunch, a cookie cake, and a little prize for each of us. They had a table set up with a table cloth, cups and ice, drinks, and our food. It was a relaxing lunch and we really loved it.

Untitled

At the end of the week we completed our OREO project. The kids stacked OREO cookies. Since our parents are so amazing each student had their own pack of cookies to use. They had two chances to make their stack as tall as possible. Once you let go of a cookie you couldn't touch it again. Check out some of these stacks!

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

I had the kids use the scientific method for this project. They had to write a hypothesis, steps they had to follow, and record the results. Then we used math to calculate their average and the class average.

Untitled

Then we used the cream from the cookies to make sculptures!

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

STUDENTS: What was your average OREO stack? Was this easier or harder than you thought it would be? Did you like doing this? Why?

6 comments:

  1. 27.easier.yes cause it was cool seeing how tall it is

    ReplyDelete
  2. 23.5, it was easier than I thought because the Oreos were balenced

    ReplyDelete
  3. My total Oreo stack was twenty one for both chances and it was harder than I thought because I am used to play dough but not Oreo cream and I did like it because it messy,sticky,and delishious. lexie simon

    ReplyDelete
  4. 21.5 and easier than I thought. I liked doing the Oreo stack because it was different than other things we do in school. Jack

    ReplyDelete
  5. 22.5,easily fun
    it was because I got to play with food
    By Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well my ang. was 15 and it was easily it was fun for me
    Dyani

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. Students, make sure to answer the question of the week to earn your ticket for the good job jar. If you have trouble posting your comment just e-mail it to me and I'll post it for you.