Pages

Friday, August 29, 2014

Week 4- Math Games & Energy

The best part about teaching math is being able to use games to practice what we've been learning. It is great when the game is over and you tell the students they just practiced math and they can't believe it was fun.


I put the students in pairs and they wrote place value columns on their desk. Then each took turns rolling a 10 sided dice (0-9). Each student had to use the number rolled to fill in their chart. On the top row they were trying to make the highest number and on the bottom row they tried to make the smallest number. Once the number was completed they compared their numbers to see who had the highest/lowest (depending on the round). The winner earned a ticket for the good job jar. 


We also did a science experiment to compare how the drop height of a bouncy ball effected how high it bounced. This helped to learn about potential and kinetic energy. The higher you held the ball to let it go, the higher it bounced off the ground. 



I also gave each group an iPad mini and had them take pictures to document their results. We ran out of time this week but next week we are going to complete graphs and make a video explaining what was learned during the experiment. 



I started introducing math games for the students to play during math rotations. 


Like I said at the beginning of the post, I love using games for math! I think my students enjoy them too. 


Here are a few more pictures of my students sharing their place value posters. 


I've had a few questions about the guidelines I gave them. If you are interested in having your students do this you should look at the Place Value Poster Project on TpT by Confessions of a Teaching Junkie. It has student directions and rubric to grade the project. 


Today I also had my students hand out happy notes to people in the school building. My mom sent me some notes she found that have positive quotes and Disney characters on them. As soon as I saw them I knew what I would use them for. My kids wrote a happy note on the back and signed them. On the way to recess, they stopped in classroom to give them to teachers, siblings, or even a student they didn't know. We have been talking a lot about random acts of kindness. A happy note doesn't cost a thing and it puts a smile on someone's face. 

STUDENTS: Do you have an idea of a Random Act of Kindness (RAK) we could do? Share your idea here to earn a ticket for the good job jar. Remember, RAKs don't have to cost a dime! 






8 comments:

  1. GIVE OLD CLOTHES,SHEOS,BEDDING,JACTETS,LUNCH MONEY TO TITTLE 1 SCHOOLS.
    EMILY FOUSY

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can make them smile.

    Dilay Aygun

    ReplyDelete
  3. We can help others, give out complements, and we can even make a friend by treating others nice and spreading the love!!!! (Spreading the love just doesn't have to be in school.) ;-)

    Yesha Mwaura Class: Mrs.Smith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donate items or volunteer to animal shelters or students can help tutor other students.

    ReplyDelete
  5. we can visit a nursing home and/or an animal shelter and make someone's day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We can donate our time by tutoring, giving compliments, and donating food, cloth, ect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We can donate to our favorite charity.
    ~ Kyndal Miller

    ReplyDelete
  8. Help clean up the classroom at the end of the day without the teacher asking.
    ~ Austin Miller

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. Students, make sure to answer the question of the week to earn your ticket for the good job jar. If you have trouble posting your comment just e-mail it to me and I'll post it for you.