Pages

Friday, September 7, 2012

Week 3- Reverse Wild War

Week 3 is complete!

We did a new brain break dance this week- Ice Cream & Cake.



We are learning about kinetic and potential energy in science. Check out this Study Jam for an explanation of each.

Learning math games

This week I learned another math game at a math workshop so I taught the kids how to play today. This one is called Reverse Wild War. All you need to play is a deck of cards. The students each take 3 cards. With those cards he/she tries to get as close to zero as possible.

Reverse Wild War

You use addition, subtraction, multiplication, & division. Face cards are worth 10 and A can be used as 1 or 11. Once you have a total use the absolute value to see which player is closest to zero. The winner takes all the cards from that round. Keep playing until you are out of cards. The kids decided if there is a tie the players play a tie breaker round.

Ex: 10, 7, 4  10-7 = 3/4 = .75

This week we also started our Daily Data notebooks. I posted the daily data sheet back before school started. This week the students voted for their favorite shaved ice flavor: grape or cherry. Then they created a graph with the data.

STUDENTS: This week we started a lot of new things in math. I want to know how you and your family use math. List a few ways you and your family have used math at home (and don't list math homework).

14 comments:

  1. We use math when we play multiplication war.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the ice cream and cake dance!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the ice cream and cake dance

    ReplyDelete
  4. We do the 99 game and we do work sheets that he printed out

    ReplyDelete
  5. We use math when we cook.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me and my sister play math games on the computer at home

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me and my sister play math games on the computer at home

    ReplyDelete
  8. We play math games together and me and my sister play the 99 gamw

    ReplyDelete
  9. We play math games together and me and my sister play the 99 gamw

    ReplyDelete
  10. We play math games together and me and my sister play the 99 gamw

    ReplyDelete
  11. We do it when we cook too I just forget

    ReplyDelete
  12. I use math when I brush my teeth because I count to 120 to equal 2 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ryan jacobs: when i'm doing measurements

    ReplyDelete
  14. I use math to measure my sister and me,also to help with making brownies and cookies,last is to help with math games.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. Students, make sure to answer the question of the week to earn your ticket for the good job jar. If you have trouble posting your comment just e-mail it to me and I'll post it for you.