Pages

Friday, July 8, 2016

Classroom Ready- Flexible Seating #StarbucksMyRoom

This year I decided to try flexible seating. I've been looking at it for several years and debating if I should try it. When Natalie, a friend and parent at my school, approached me about being part of a group to pilot this I knew it was time to try it!

I've been working in the room for about 2 weeks. Believe it or not, teachers start back July 25th so I wanted to make sure I was done before school starts.

When I started looking for flexible seating options I saw tons of exercise balls. I know I wouldn't be able to handle all those exercise balls rolling all over the place so I looked for other ideas. I found my bean bag ottomans at Overstock. I ordered memory foam bath mats and the isokinetics cushions from Amazon. I picked up the wooden stools at Target and the little black stools were ordered from IKEA. I absolutely love the way it has turned out!

I've used lamps for several years and I love the way the room feels like home without those fluorescent lights on.

So here is a look into my room!

I purchased bed risers for this table next to my technology shelf. It is high enough that the kids will be able to work around it while sitting on the stool or standing.

This is the shelf where all my technology will go. My Chromebooks will go on the top shelf. I have file folder organizers and the computers fit nicely in the slots. I tied each cord on the organizer so they'll be easy to plug in when the computers are replaced. The second shelf has organizers for my class iPads. I'm not sure if you can tell, but on the very bottom of the shelf are my new robots! I still have to get a large power strip for them because I have 12 Sprk robots we will be using for STEM this coming year.

This is the reading corner. I picked up the rag rugs at 5 Below. I haven't been a reading teacher in several years but the kids still love reading and I want them to have a place to sit and read if they want to.


I couldn't part with my teacher desk but I did eliminate a table and pushed the desk closer to the storage cabinets. The classroom computer is on my desk because it has to be connected to my Smartboard and document camera.




I really love this table. I used it for small group instruction when I taught math and reading. This year I'm planning to let students sit around it. I left a few chairs here in case someone wants one.


These are the wire shelves behind the table above. I eventually want to get some wooden shelves to replace these wire ones. They just don't hold up very well, but I'm about spent out for now!


This is the view along the wall where you come in the classroom. I have two desks there so we can turn them to face the classroom if they are needed.

We lowered this table by removing the legs from it. I put some rag rugs down and also got Isokinetics wiggle cushions.

This is my table with legs removed so the kids can use memory foam bath mats to sit on.


My front carpet (which is well worn) is a large place where the kids will be able to work.


I put my Target stools along the back counter.


And this table wasn't lowered because I put the bean bag ottomans here.




I hope you have enjoyed my classroom tour! I'm still planning to pick up a few other things for the room so if I do I'll be sure to share them with you.


1 comment:

  1. Your classroom looks wonderful! I can picture all the learning that will take place. Giving students a variety of seating options shows your students that you understand not all students learn best in one type of seating arrangement. Can't wait to hear what else you end up adding! Thanks again for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. Students, make sure to answer the question of the week to earn your ticket for the good job jar. If you have trouble posting your comment just e-mail it to me and I'll post it for you.