Pages

Friday, September 19, 2014

Week 7- Dot Day, Speed, & Proactive Activity

Monday was International Dot Day. We read the book, The Dot by Peter Reynolds. We talked about ways we could make our mark on the world. 

I gave each student a red dot to use in their picture. I told them there were no requirements with the dot, other than the fact that it needed to be on their picture somewhere. While they worked on their posters we enjoyed eating dot candy.

Take a look at some of the posters they created.






This week we also used toy cars and tape measures to calculate the speed of our cars. This goes along with our study of speed and velocity. 




Want to know their favorite part of the lessons? The song, of course! Click the song name to find it on YouTube. Speed and Velocity by They Might Be Giants.



To practice our multiplication this week, we played number crunchers. I love this game because the kids practice multiplication but share their work with a partner. They can compare answers and find any mistakes they might have made. 





We also started working on a hallway display for special visitors next week. All of the activities I found for Habit 1: Be Proactive were all more for younger elementary. So I started looking for inspiration and ran across this picture. 


Since we talk about how you carry your own weather while being Proactive, I knew exactly what to do! I showed this picture to my students and had them create their own. They wrote ways to be proactive under the umbrella and ways to be reactive around the outside. 



These are just a few examples but I love what they did with my inspiration!



STUDENTS: This week we celebrated International Dot Day. What do you plan to do to make your mark on the world?


5 comments:

  1. I want to help the school recycle. Dilay

    ReplyDelete
  2. have a tn. river clean up day

    ReplyDelete
  3. I plan to make my mark on the world by simply being happy and nice everyday , so I can persuade others to do the same thing.

    Yesha Mwaura

    ReplyDelete
  4. I plan to volunteer and donate to help rescue mistreated animals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I plan to make a new world with our new generations!

    Sophia Nguyen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. Students, make sure to answer the question of the week to earn your ticket for the good job jar. If you have trouble posting your comment just e-mail it to me and I'll post it for you.